About the STEM Bridge Program
Our STEM Bridge Program, a Research Learning Experience, is specifically designed for first generation students in selected majors within the College of Natural Sciences, Forestry, and Agriculture or selected majors within the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences as a way to help you gain the skills you will need to be a successful student, to build connections with your first generation peers, and to learn about the many resources available on campus!
Here at the University of Maine, we value the many talents and skills you bring to our campus as a first generation student. We also know that first generation students sometimes have unique challenges when coming to campus, and we are committed to helping you navigate this new experience. As a first generation student, you will be joining a large community of other first generation students, faculty, and staff at UMaine.
What you get out of participating:
- FREE on campus prep program August 22-27, 2021, as part of the RLE initiative
- FREE peer mentoring program for the 2021-2022 academic year
- $300 program completion scholarship
- Move into your fall housing early with other program participants*
- You will be enrolled in RLE 150 Full STEM Ahead: Preparing for College Success and Research Experiences. This one credit course for the fall semester starts August 22nd, 2021.
What do participants have to say about the STEM Bridge program?
“I’m now excited to get outside my comfort zone (after participating in the August bridge week)”
“This program made me feel like UMaine truly cares for students as people.”
“(This program) taught me the importance of asking for help and who to ask.”
“(This program) helped us build a community and find friends.”
“The peer mentoring helped with my transition to college and with my academic success, especially in BIO 100!”
“This program taught me so much more than I can even list!”
Questions? Contact the Summer Programs staff at 207.581.1615 or email@example.com
*For students who choose to live on campus and meet all housing requirements