Housing & Dining

On-Campus Housing

Read the following information and then apply for housing via the Housing Services web page (click on “Log into myHousing).

The University of Maine encourages all incoming international students to live in campus housing. We offer a variety of accommodation styles, fully integrated with local students. All residence halls offer wireless internet and standard furniture. Only some residence halls are continuous housing halls (open during university breaks and holidays).  When applying for housing make sure you choose a continuous housing hall.

First-Year Residence Halls Offering Continuous Housing

  • Knox Hall – double rooms with shared bathrooms. New this year! Check out these Themed Communities options including the Global Neighborhood community located on the 4th floor in Knox Hall. Click here for more info.
  • York Hall – double rooms with shared bathrooms.
  • Click here to find information for First-year students on the Housing Services page.

Transfer Students

If you are a transfer student and you wish to live on campus please see the information for transfer students on the Housing Services page to review your options.

Incoming Exchange and Visiting Students

If you are an Exchange or Visiting student, be sure to request a hall offering continuous housing when you apply.

The following residence halls are continuous housing halls (open during university breaks and holidays) which are most suitable for incoming exchange students:

  • Kennebec Hall – shared double rooms, shared bathrooms in hallway for upper class and transfer students
  • York Hall – shared double rooms, shared bathrooms in hallway
  • DTAV (suite-style) – shared double rooms, full kitchen in suite, shared bathroom in suite, meal plans optional
  • Patch (suite-style) – shared double rooms, full kitchen in suite, shared bathroom in suite
  • Stodder Hall – for students above 21, and for graduate students – shared double rooms, kitchenette on each floor

NOTE: When booking your flight, please be aware that UMaine housing closes on the last day of classes each semester. International students can request permission to stay one extra day.  If staying in the U.S. after your exchange semester (up to 30 days after your last exam), students need to arrange for alternative housing.

Graduate Student Housing

  • Stodder Hall – for students above 21, and for graduate students – shared double rooms, kitchenette on each floor

Family Housing

  • University Park is located close to campus and offers housing for students with a spouse and/or children

Helpful Information for On-campus Living

Your room will have a single twin-sized bed, desk, and chair, drawers and closet for clothing. Sheets, pillows, blankets, and towels are NOT provided. Students must purchase their own bedding.  A shopping trip will take place during orientation. The UMaine bookstore offers some room essentials for purchase.

Accommodation Costs:


For more information:

Off-Campus Housing

International students are encouraged to live on-campus to facilitate access to services and engagement with fellow students. Students interested in living off-campus can find information here.


The University of Maine welcomes all international students to our locations throughout campus. International students are strongly encouraged to live on-campus and to select a meal plan.

Meal Plan Options:

Selecting a Meal Plan:

  • On-campus resident students will be enrolled in a meal plan as part of their Academic Year Room and Board License.  Please see details on the Housing website.
    • Students living in traditional first-year housing must have a full meal plan (one of the Unlimited dining plans).
    • Students living in suite-style housing in DTAV/Patch Hall can opt-out of meal plans as they have a kitchen in each suite. Alternatively, students can select a reduced meal plan (Junior/Senior plan, Senior Flex,  or buy a Commuter meal plan providing 25/50/75/125 visits to the dining halls).
    • Students living in Stodder Hall must have a meal plan and cannot opt-out. The smallest meal plan available is the Graduate Meal plan. Students can prepare some of their meals as there is a kitchen on each floor.
  • Off-campus students may add Bear Bucks to their Maine Card. All meal plans are open to students living off-campus. You can add Black Bear Bucks to your MaineCard or visit the Student Services Office in the Memorial Union.

Helpful information: