How to apply for a Social Security Number

Students in F-1 status who are employed must apply for a US Social Security number.
Students in F-1 status who are not employed are not eligible to apply for an SSN.

Anyone in J-1 status can apply for a US Social Security number, even if they are not employed.

A Social Security number helps identify and accurately record your earnings.  You should keep your Social Security card in a safe place.  Your SSN is unique to you and is valid forever.  Your SSN should not be shared unnecessarily.

F-1 and J-1 students should click here and complete the form provided, to request an application.  We will send an email to your account to let you know when it is ready.

Next Steps:
OIP will inform you when your certification and application are ready
Ask your supervisor to complete their section on the certification
Make an appointment to go to the Social Security Office in Bangor to apply by calling 1-877-405-1448
Bring your passport, DS2019 (for J-1) or I-20 (for F-1) and I-94 arrival record to your appointment

H1B Employees and J-1 Scholars– complete the Social Security Administration application form and then make an appointment at the local office by calling 1-877-405-1448.  Bring your passport and DS2019 (for J-1) or I-797 notice of approval (for H1B) and your I-94 arrival record to your appointment.